Sunday, May 31, 2015

Clockwork Angel, by Cassandra Clare

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! 
Ok so I will include spoilers in this so yeah. You were warned! 

Why don't I already have books 2 and 3??? I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!!!!! GIMMEE DA BOOKS! 

ahem, 

Anyway

Clockwork angel takes us back to the world of the Shadowhunters, but in Victorian England.
But, the twist on the Shadowhunter story we already know... is that it is mixed with steampunk. 
HOW COOL IS THAT?! But I won't say how steampunk is involved cause spoilers... ^^

Its really a great read! There's an awesome mix of magic and realism, with just the right dosage of  victorian-ness, steampunk, creepiness, love, vampires, sassiness and craziness.

AND THAT ENDING WAS LIKE FREAKING FIREWORKS! It was one realization after another and it just didn't stop until the last page! I was expecting some of the revelations, though. 
I was just like 


This is the place where all my spoiler-talk will be: 
I was expecting the fact that de Quincey was not the Magister. To be totally honest, for like a chapter or two I thought it could be Magnus! But once I saw how nice and innocent Mortmain was, I knew it had to be him. 
But I TOTALLY WAS NOT EXPECTING NATE TO BE BAD! That came as such a shock! I mean sure I thought it was weird that he was so scared of the shadowhunters, but still! I was like WHAT JUST HAPPENED??
Thomas and Agatha's deaths were so sad! :( Especially Thomas's, with his last words and all! 
I REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHATS UP WITH WILL! like why is he always pretending to be drunk and sad and lying??
Oh and since Will is a Herondale, I get where Jace's sassiness comes from >.>
I knew something was weird about Jessie liking Nate, it just didn't work out, in my opinion. 
Am I the only one who thought that the necklace coming to life was strange and kinda pushed aside too soon? Like no one even really reacted to it! 
End of spoiler talk, you can continue reading :) 

I think that the characters are all great! Tessa is a strong protagonist. Although she seems a bit in a daze at the beginning, she develops a strong character that matches her... condition. 
Then Will is so strange and mysterious! I really want to know whats up with him! And he's sassy and funny! 
Jem is so sweet! He's like everyone's big brother in the story! 
Jessie is, well, kinda annoying, to be fair, but I mean you can really understand where she is coming from. 
That Lightwood kid is an absolute pain, so much unlike Isabel and Alec! But for some reason I have a feeling that he'll be helpful to the trio in the next two books for some reason. 
And Magnus is still (still? Can we use that if this happened in the past? Oh well you get it >.>) there! Made me happy to see a familiar character :) 

Even though I didn't think I'd like it, I enjoyed how Clockwork Angel had so many links to The Mortal Instruments! Its like while reading you suddenly come across a sentence and you're like 'hehe, hehehe, I see what you did there!!", just because it will take you straight back to a mortal instruments book. Its like the past was foreshadowing the future in a book that came out after the future-set book was published. 
Wrap your mind around that one! 

The only thing I would suggest is that, if you haven't done so already, you read The Mortal Instruments series before reading The Infernal Devices - they give a better understanding of how the Shadow World works, as well as the relations between the Nephilim and Downworlders, which is a huge theme of Clockwork Angel. But this book does a fairly good job at explaining it all anyway =p 

I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars on goodreads :D 
This book completed my "A book I own, but have never read" challenge! I've had this book for a long time now, and I just got to it. ^^

Let me know if you read clockwork angel, and what you thought of it! :) 

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I loved this series, and believe me when I say that it gets better in the next two books! Tessa is fantastic, and the connections between this book and the Mortal Instruments are quite clever. I must ask, though: do you prefer Will or Jem?

    ~Erika @ http://erikabooksandstars.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika! Thanks a lot! :D I believe you, I've heard that the series only gets better from the end of the first book, and I can't wait to get the next two books!
      Hmm personally I prefer Jem because he isn't being shady about who he is, and I find that great! But I think that Will will probably end up being better for Tessa once (if) he opens up a bit :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Caroline! Decided to pop by and i saw this review! I love it, you're so funny!! (at this point I wish i could use an emoji). I have yet to read TID!! Seeing how you rave about it makes me wanna read it so bad, but i currently have some other reads. I'm gonna get my hands on the series probably next month.. I was a chapter or two into book 5 and someone recommended me to read TID before the last book of TMI series! So... I'm leaving book 5 & 6 till i read TID!
    I saw your 'spoiler-talk' and i immediately scrolled past it though i'll admit i was a little curious! But then again, I didn't want to spoil the book for myself hahah!

    Are you gonna update on book 2 & 3 (Clockwork Prince & Princess)? I would love to see your views on the books!! ;)

    ♡,
    Yuki - http://utterlybooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yuki! Thanks so much for visiting!!
      Oh my gosh thanks so much!!
      And I disagree, you should read books 5 and 6 before, otherwise the cliffhangers will be awful! XD I really thought book 6 was great!
      I will write about books 2 and 3 soon - I have a packed reading month in October, but I just ordered books 2 and 3 (my Cassandra Clare collection looked empty without them ^-^) and should have them done by sometime in November :)

      Delete

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!