Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Demigods and Monsters, by Raye Wagner

Hey all! 
I just finished Demigods and Monsters, by Raye Wagner!!

Note: I received this book straight from the author herself, however, this does not affect my opinions about it. Thanks again! 

"Can Apollo’s curse be broken?
Seventeen-year-old Hope Nicholas is done running. Apollo’s curse has ruled her entire life, limiting her choices and robbing her of the things that matter most. But she refuses to live in fear any longer. In fact, she’s ready to do whatever it takes to break the god’s power over her existence. 
When the goddess Artemis instructs Hope to impersonate a demigod and infiltrate a conservatory to get access to the Olympian library, she doesn’t hesitate. As she sees it, there’s nothing left to lose. 
But once inside, Hope discovers the only way to get what she needs is to work with her sworn enemies. As the lines between demigod and monster are crossed again and again, Hope has to dig deep for the courage to accept her fate or fight for the freedom to save herself.
Demigods and Monsters is the second book in the Sphinx series.


First and foremost I want to apologize for not posting this review before today - I have been caught up in lots of things at uni. 

Now for the review!

Demigods and Monsters brought a new twist to the universe presented to us in the Curse of the Sphinx. Basically, around the world, there are conservatories - places where demigods can learn history, train, and basically live comfortably. Hope finds a way to get into the conservatory in hopes of getting to the Olympian Library (which sounds like the best place EVER I mean it has a copy of every book ever published!!! *-*). There’s quite a few interactions between her and other demigods, Skia (which, if you remember, are the shadow-like people who hunt immortals), and a new guy called Xan. 

Xan is a son of Ares, and an exceptional fighter. Right away, he shows that he can be a good friend to Hope as long as she trusts him. All around, rumors about the Sphinx are brewing, and Hope puts a wall up between her and Xan to protect herself. At the same time, she’s worried for Athan, who she doesn’t really trust anymore...

This book has a nice pace to it - it has a good rhythm and many great ideas about greek mythology! It definitely keeps you reading to see just what might happen to Hope. 

The characters were well thought-out and placed in the story, and were believable. The only thing I had a little problem with was how quickly Hope would judge people without knowing anything about them. I also feel that people seem to be manipulating her from all sides. 

The action sequences were described incredibly well, and were some of my favorite parts of the book! My only regret is that there weren’t more of them Maybe in book 3? 

I’m giving this a 3.5/5 feathers - I liked it just a bit less than the first one. 




1 comment:

  1. My guess is this is the arc you were talking about! ^.^
    This series sounds really good! I know I said it last time when I commented on the your review of the Curse of the Sphinx, but I really do need to check this one out! Greek mythology + me = instant love ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!