Sunday, June 5, 2016

15 things people don’t tell you about book lovers

Hey all! 

We’ve all seen listicles on Buzzfeed and other platforms that list book-lover/blogger attributes. Some of them are on point, while others... well... 

So I came up with the idea to make my own list of book-lover truths. Now some of these may just be me, but who knows, maybe you’ll recognize yourself in some of these. 


1. Book lover’s aren’t necessarily antisocial or scared of things like talking or doing stuff on Saturday night. But when we’re in the middle of a really good book, or an awesome action sequence, we will most likely not go out of our way to do so. 

2. Choosing a favorite book (ever) is impossible. Same goes for favorite ship, favorite character, favorite story, etc.. just nah. 

3. It’s actually not that easy to recommend books to others without mentally visualizing our shelf, scanning every book title and picking one out. This is also the case for completing tags - its so much harder to do when you’re away from home! 

4. No, we don’t go to the book store just because we blog about books, make videos, take instagram pictures, or do it for the views though some other media. We genuinely like reading and would keep going to the bookstore just as often if we didn’t have our blogs/youtube accounts. 

5. There is a constant mental battle going on when you read a series. Let me explain: you have the first or second book of the series, the most recent release of the year, and want to read it more than any other book on your shelf right now. But, reading it now means you have to wait an entire year for the sequel. 


6. Just because we read a lot doesn’t mean we’ll read anything under the sun, or have read all of the big series out there, or all of the big-title classics. We don’t have superpowers (although we all agree that there’s so many books, not enough time!) 

7. Pretty books and pretty spines make the probability of buying that book 100 times more likely. So I guess we do judge books by their covers in a way! 

8. We know all the cheap book sites and have favorites, even though the rest of the world has no idea they exist (tee hee! ^^) 

9. There is a difference between the smell of a new, used, and old book. Each of them are different, there’s no ‘book’ smell! 

10. If our rooms are a mess, our bookshelves are absolutely perfect. It’s just a thing that happens, like magic. 

11. Feels. Feels. Feels. Whilst movies might not have much of an effect on us, a paragraph can crush us for a week, having us bookmark it, read it 50 times, feel more feels, and keep going back to it time and time again.  *Cough Cassandra Clare cough*


12. Leaving the house without a book is weird. It feels like you forgot something important, like keys. Or your phone.

13. Suggesting books to people who don’t like reading is really not all that easy... But we try anyway! 

14. No, we don’t all hate using kindles. Of course physical copies are preferred, but we won’t hiss at the sight of a kindle or another e-reader. 

15. Big books don’t scare us. But one thing that does scare us - when a book is 30 pages from the end and theres a whole bunch of unresolved questions and tension that can’t possibly be resolved in 30 pages. 

16. Bonus: One cool thing I noticed is that when we read, anything that’s not dialogue kind of blends together to form an image, while dialogue stands out exactly in the way its written. 


Anything else you want to say about the truth about book lovers? Let me know! 
Have a great day! 

6 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, YES to this entire post--I found myself giggling several times, and nodding my head through most of it!

    Awesome work on this--I so agree with you on everything you said here. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty much all entirely true! It's especially true for me about the feels! I don't get emotional while watching movies, but I'm a sobbing mess of a wreck while I read haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was the only one! Books can get me every time, especially if I can relate to them!

      Delete
  3. *raises hand* Shamlessly guilty of every single one you mentioned. These are so very accurate! Especially the one about feels. I mean, is it even possible to recover from Clockwork Princess? No? I didn't think so.
    For me, I can get way too emotional or excited talking about a fantastic book, to the point where instead of explaining why it's so good, I just throw my hands in the air and yell "read the book and come talk to me afterwards! You don't know what you're missing!" (which of course scares people off, because they don't want to turn into me hahahahhahaha)
    I absolutely loved this list, and all of these kinds of posts! Great work, Caroline :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! <3 I”m glad you agree, I feel like I’m the only one sometimes! Clockwork Princess left a mark like almost no other series finales, just ;-;

      I wish I knew people irl to talk to about the books I read! (And I want to do the same thing sometimes, hahahaha XD )

      Delete

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!