Sunday, November 6, 2016

Me Before You, by Jojo Moyes

Hey all! 
I just finished reading Me Before You, by Jojo Moyes! 
I mean legit read most of it in one sitting, sat there in feels, had lunch and came up to review it. 

The thing is, when you're a book reviewer/blogger, you know that there're three main types of reviews that are really difficult to write: 

  • For books that you didn't like
  • For the second book in a series
  • For a book whose ending end so massive / impressive / crushing that the rest of the book just kinda seems like a blur
Let's guess which one Me Before You falls under xD 



"Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.
What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.
Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.
What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time."





So, how to review a book that leaves you so crushed? 

I'm gonna do my best! ^^ 

Note: This will probably will be full of spoilers. Instead of doing a spoiler section, I'm just going to leave spoilers in this. DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK! 

So Me Before You is about Louise and Will. Louise lost her job and starts working for Will and his family. Will is quadriplegic - he can not move anything below his 4/5th vertebrae. This leaves him in a wheelchair and having to have caretakers. He is depressed and knows one thing - when and how he wants to die. Louisa sets herself a mission with the help of her sister - to change Will's mind and to show him that life is worth living, even if he cannot live it as he used to.   

This book was heartbreaking, addictive, and overall a nice read - I can see the hype around it! 

I liked the way it was written! It was simple writing that was easy to understand, yet when different characters narrated their own parts, you could tell the narration was different. Each of the characters had an important part in the story, and each of them was amazing. 

I feel like I could really understand some of the characters and their decisions. Louise is 26 and somewhat lost in her life - having lost her job, she doesn't really know what she wants to do with her future. When she meets Will and they finally start to get along, he opens her horizons and making her realize that she can do more with her life than just let it pass without seeing the world and having experiences like scuba diving. Her character development in this book was really amazing! She learned so much from Will. 

Before his accident, Will was full of life - he would skydive, rock climb, travel the world, and had a generally active lifestyle. His accident changed him as a person. Incredibly sarcastic and pragmatic, he and Louise did not get along at first. Whenever she tried to help or to make his life brighter, he would shut her down with rude comments. But eventually, he opens up to her and keeps nudging her to try things she would never do otherwise - getting a tattoo, traveling or even going to a classical violin concert. And she slowly learns that she enjoys it. Yet his handicap leaves him unhappy with his life. He lost his friends, people look at him with pity, he can't go on the same adventures as he used to, and his daily routine his full of medicine and having to be helped. He once cut his wrists but was saved by the doctors. He promised his parents to stay alive for another 6 months, but at the end of that time, he arranged to go to Switzerland in an institute where people can undertake euthanasia. He feels like it's the one thing he can control in his life. 



Lou comes from a family that's in the lower class. They are a fan of the fact that she works for a rich family - they need the money she can make, but eventually grow to like Will as a person as well. Her sister is really helpful for her situation as a helper. 

Will's family is quite rich, yet has many problems. His sister is overly protective of him, and his father practically sees him as a nuisance. 

I loved the part when they were at the wedding and they danced together. 
I loved the part when Lou was choosing a dress and Will and Nathan were being fashion critics
I loved the part when Will gave her the stripey bumblebee stockings for her birthday

I just really really enjoyed the little moments they had that made both of them smile. 

One thing that surprised me is that although I cried in the end when they said goodbye, and with the letter he left her, it didn't hit me as much as I thought it would. I think it's because the hype around it is for the fact that it is a book that will make you cry. I think that just because I was expecting to cry, I didn't... Does that even make sense? 

I really liked the message of spreading your wings and living - that was an amazing message! I just had a harder time with the idea that life as someone in a wheelchair withe quadriplegia was so awful that the only thing to do was to... stop. 

Overall, I really liked this book! It was so sweet in so many ways and crushed me in the end. I'm giving it a 5/5!  :D Even tough there was an idea I didn't like so much, it was somewhat understandable, and there were other things that covered for it :) 

Have you read Me Before You? What did you think of it? Let me know! :D 

I might watch the movie tonight now, hahaha ^^ 


6 comments:

  1. Great review. I read this book last month and loved it. For me, it lived up to the hype. That doesn’t usually happen.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks a bunch! Hahah yeah it’s nice when something meets your expectation, or even exceeds them! :)

      Delete
  2. I really want to read this book. I actually think that the most fun reviews to write are about the really good or really bad books. For some reason, it is fun to write reviews showing more feelings with the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! :D And I know what you mean actually, but I still find it difficult :’)

      Delete
  3. Sigh, I haven't read the book or watch the movie yet, so I couldn't read your full review :( But that's no one's fault but mine, since I have been putting it off for some time now!
    I'm glad you liked it! It will act as incentive for me to actually pick this book up and read it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erika! You totally should! I know you don’t always read contemporaries but I honestly thing you’d like it! :)

      Delete

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!